| || |
| || || |
One of the most difficult things to achieve in matters of fashion is that precious, perfectly polished look for which you have to spend tons of money and loads of time. But the fascination a glamour girl exudes is worth every penny and second of it. Want to become glamorous? Read on to find out how!
- Be hygienic. Being clean and smelling nice are the base of looking good.
- Take a shower at least once a day, before you go to bed. You should take a shower in the morning too, if you have enough time. Use a body lotion/shower gel.
- Brush your teeth three times a day, after each meal. Also use dental floss to remove food stuck between your teeth.
- Always use deodorant. The smell of sweat is just gross.
- Make sure all the clothes you wear are clean and ironed. Even an awesome piece of clothing can look horrible if it's not clean and ironed; not to mention it won't last too long if you don't take care of it properly, no matter how well-made it is.
- Comb or brush your hair to avoid the messy look. Do not brush your hair if it's curly.
- Follow a proper morning routine. Do these things on a regular basis; they are the basics of looking good. Of course, to look glamorous, you'll need to do a little more than this, but if you don't do these basic things, your whole image will be ruined, no matter how expensive your clothes are or how good your makeup products are.
- Get perfect hair. The way your hair looks is crucial for your image as a whole. In order to achieve great hair, follow the advices below.
- Keep your hair clean all the time. Nobody looks beautiful with greasy hair. For oily hair, you should wash it every 1 to 2 days. If you have dry hair, you don't need to wash it that often; only every 2 or 3 days. Use the right type of shampoo for your hair. This is absolutely necessary to prevent dandruff and damaging of your scalp.
- Make sure your hair always looks perfect. The only hairstyles that look glamorous are the perfectly styled ones. Rebellious hair not allowed. It can be straight, wavy, or curly, as long as it's shiny and perfectly tamed. Get rid of the frizz by using a straightening iron and/or a smoothing serum or, even better, try straightening it permanently (of course, only if you want straight hair for a longer time). Choose either sleek, stylish, straight hairstyles or romantic, wavy, '40s style wavy hair. For shine, apply a shining spray.
- Choose the best color for your hair. If you decide to dye your hair, make sure you do it once a month or every 2 months, otherwise your roots will grow, contrasting with the color of the rest of your hair; and that's not glamorous. The most glamorous colors are rich, intense, bright ones: platinum blonde, golden blonde, light brown, golden brown, dark brown, black. Basically, any more saturated versions of natural hair colors are good. Try picking a color that enhances your skin color. If your skin is rather light or white, platinum blonde and dark brown or black will look good on you ("cold" colors suit light skin). If your skin tone is light to medium, you will look the best in shades of brown, golden blonde or dark blonde; actually any natural, warm color. If your skin is medium to dark, the lightest shade you may choose is medium brown; any lighter color will create an unpleasant contrast with your skin.
- Have flawless skin. Your face and body need special care to look great. These are the essential steps for having healthy, clear, soft skin.
- Keep it free of acne and wrinkles as much as you can. Also, avoid getting red spots on your skin (from allergies, stress or harsh attempts to remove zits). Remove blackheads too. You can do it at home or, more easily, by going to a salon and having it done professionally (it takes much more time and effort to do this at home, and the results are different).
- Invest in good quality skincare products. Some good brands are Vichy, The Body Shop and L'Oreal. But if you afford it, go for top brands like Estee Lauder, Chanel and Dior. The products are more expensive, and the amounts smaller, but at least they do their job.
- Buy a cleanser, a toner and a moisturizer, for they are the basics of skincare. Be sure to exfoliate often, but not to often for smooth, glowing skin. You can go further and use additional products like face masks, for instance.
- Try to get rid of cellulite. Some say that it's almost impossible, but that depends on your age and lifestyle. A person who is young and practices sports on a regular basis is much more likely to eliminate cellulite than an older person who doesn't work out. Try some good anti-cellulite creams. You should ask your doctor which are the best, because most of them have absolutely no effects; picking a good anti-cellulite cream is very difficult and you can waste a ton of money if you don't know which to buy from the very beginning. Massage helps as well. If you eventually end up cellulite-free, prevent it from reappearing by eating less saturated fats, quitting smoking, wearing comfortable clothing and being more active.
- Combat stretch marks. Maybe you can't remove them completely, but you can diminish them to the extent that they become barely noticeable, even from close up. They usually fade in time.
- Don't forget to shave your legs and armpits . Never wear dresses or skirts if your legs are not perfectly shaved; the view is disgusting.
- Remember to use a body moisturizer too; not only your face needs moisturizing, but your body too.
- Avoid excessive tanning. Not only is it bad for your health and increases the chance of getting skin cancer, but it's also somewhat tacky. Avoid excessive exposure to sun, especially in summer, and use lotions with high SPF at the beach, however, if you still decide to go for a tan, at least use a self-tanner, instead of sunbathing (it's healthier).
- Get perfect teeth. Brush your teeth after each meal to avoid having bad breath. If your teeth are not naturally white, go to a dentist to have done a professional whitening; if your teeth are white, keep them that way by avoiding smoking, sodas, and excessive coffee. It's very possible that your teeth are not exactly straight; the dentist will choose the best option for you. (Keep in mind that a gap can be stylish and sexy.)
- Take care of your nails. Don't bite them, or let them grow too long. Don't let them get dirty- there's nothing worse than black filth under nails. Remember that your toes have to look good, too - especially if sandals are your favorite type of shoe.
- Wear makeup that enhances your best features and makes you look gorgeous. Many women who wear makeup on a regular basis actually know nothing about it; so read further to find out what are the do's and don't's of makeup.
- Follow the main makeup rule: don't put on too much makeup and don't use unnatural colors. The makeup has to be light, natural and just a bit shiny.
- The second important makeup rule: never wear poor quality products. Again, if you can afford, choose the best brands like Chanel, Lancome, Dior, Stila, Givenchy, Guerlain, Estee Lauder and so on. Other good brands, at lower prices, are Sephora and The Body Shop. The textures should be smooth (sticky products are a sign of poor quality) and somewhat transparent, so your skin can be vaguely seen through them. But if you have a good quality product and it still has a strange texture, it's probably too old. Throw it away. Old cosmetics can cause you serious troubles.
- The third important makeup rule: never go to bed without removing your makeup first. It makes your face look horrible over time.
- Start with a slightly shimmery makeup base. Don't use extremely matte foundation, unless your skin is very oily.
- Do not cake on glitter. It's not glamorous, it's just flashy and tacky. Glamour is all about being mature, and putting on tons of glitter will make you look like a 15-year-old Barbie girl. However, if you really love sparkly makeup, at least try not to make it very noticeable.
- Keep it natural: use colors like pink, beige, brown and (for mascara and eyeliner only) black.
- Don't focus on both your lips and your eyes at the same time. If your lips are bright red, keep your eyes natural and apply just a little mascara. If your eyes are 'smokey', use a nude lipstick. Even better yet, don't put too much accent on a certain feature, if it's not an elegant, evening makeup.
- Use a creamy lipstick for a natural effect. Glosses are for teenagers, especially light pink, glittery glosses. Lipstick works better for adult women. However, if you go for glosses, at least buy an expensive one, and make sure it's not too sticky. One tip: apply lipstick with a special makeup brush. It looks more natural that way and you tend to apply less.
- For lips, go for a shade close to your natural lip color. It's more natural that way. However, if you choose a bright or dark color, keep your eyes free of eyeliner and colorful eyeshadow. Take care with that bright red lipstick. Don't wear red lipstick if your hair is golden blonde and your eyes are blue or green; too many bright colors will clash.
- Keep the blush barely noticeable. Blush is a type of makeup whose purpose is to complement your facial features, not to catch your eye. To choose the right color, think of the color your cheeks have when it's very cold outside or after you've run a mile; that's the color that will look the best on you.
- Wear natural makeup during daytime: enhance the shape of your lips with a light pink lipliner, use nude, creamy, a bit shiny lipstick, put on some pink blush, a bit of mascara and some shiny light pink eyeshadow on the center of your eyelids. Or the same makeup, with your eyes carefully contoured with black eyeliner, instead of the light pink eyeshadow. On this model, you can think of other ways to apply makeup, keeping it natural at the same time.
- Choose the right texture. Your makeup has to be light, shiny, smooth and a bit sparkly- not too much though; see the warning above.
- Put on some perfume. Perfume is, perhaps, the most personal type of cosmetic, because it says a lot about your personality. As a general rule, wear fresh fragrances during summer and "sweet" ones during winter. You can go for something classic, like Chanel No.5, or you can choose any other fragrance from top brands. The coolest option is to make your own perfume- that way it's 100% you. Look in a perfumery for vials containing different essences and buy the ones you like the most.
- Get some fabulous new clothes. They're probably the factor that determine whether you're glamorous... or not. Go for classic cuts and models, which show the line of your body. Once again, invest in something of exceptional quality. The fabrics should be soft and smooth, like silk, jersey, and cashmere. Glamour style is, above all, elegant and sophisicated. Audrey Hepburn and Marilyn Monroe are good sources of inspiration. Avoid clothes that look too old, sporty, or messy. It is very important that you choose the image you wish to portray; there are many ways to look glamorous, and each one of them has its specific elements you must follow in order to portray that image. Here are some of them:
Old Hollywood glamour- think Marilyn Monroe and Sophia Loren. Its attributes are red lips, platinum blonde hair, diamonds, fur and '40s dressing style. Hair is very important; old Hollywood hairstyles are short-to-medium length, wavy and dyed blonde or black. As for makeup, wear red lipstick and use black mascara. Wear medium-length dresses and skirts, diamond earrings and fur coats.
Urban chic glamour- think Audrey Hepburn. Sleek lines, straight hair, and elegant, simple design- it's the favorite look of the wealthy New York women. To get this look, wear trench coats, black tights, stiletto heels, little black dresses, business suits and simple, delicate jewelry. The most used colors are the neutral ones: black, white, and beige; however, bright colors are welcome too, but in smaller amounts. Oversized sunglasses are a must. Wear precious fabrics like silk, cashmere and jersey; the fabrics must be as high quality as you can find. Avoid wearing jeans. Accessorize with huge handbags, fine jewelry and watches. As for makeup and hairstyle, long hair and the classic bob style are definitely the most acceptable; the makeup is very natural.
Opulent diva glamour- the more expensive and rich-looking it is, the better. Everything is allowed here: excessive jewelry, glitter, feathers, heavy makeup- as long as it's not (too) tacky, it's acceptable. To get the look, wear glittery dresses, fur, diamonds, opulent gowns for evening, metallic colors, high heels, animal prints, gold and precious gems. The predominant color is gold. Be careful not to look too tacky, though.
- Avoid dressing too fancy at inappropriate times. You can dress casually and look glamorous at the same time. You don't have to wear a long dress every time you go out - you don't want to look like you're going to the Oscar ceremonies when you're just taking your dog out for a walk... A pair of black skinny jeans, high heels and a silk top are sometimes enough to make you look elegant. If all your clothes are good quality and have a somewhat special design or colour, you will never look "too" casual.
- Put on some jewels. Jewelry gives a sparkly touch to everything you wear. During daytime, it must be something that doesn't attract too much attention, but completes your outfit - for example, a necklace with a little gem as a pandantive, or a small bracelet. But for the evening, feel free to put on diamonds, pearls or precious gems and metals. Not too much though - excessive jewelry only looks good at Bollywood. And if you choose one type of jewelry - for instance, a pearl necklace - don't wear another type at the same outfit. For the pearl necklace you will have to choose pearl earrings. For a diamond necklace - diamond earrings. For a golden necklace - no silver bracelets, only gold. You get the idea?
- Learn to shop correctly. The key to having a fabulous wardrobe is to know how to shop. Especially if you’re one of those women who view shopping more as a hobby than as a process you have to master in order to make the right fashion decisions, follow these steps:
- The first thing you have to do when you enter the store is to "scan" the general outlook of the clothes and find out what type of store it is. There are three criteria you must analyze to categorize the store: the range of prices, the age of the targeted consumers, and the fashion style of the clothes it sells. Your first concern should be the quality of the clothes; if it’s not high enough-regardless of the design of the clothes-, leave the place without second thoughts.
- Go to the first rack of clothes that catches your eye. Start examining the fabrics; are they fabric too rough, too shiny or too easy to crease? Do the buttons look like they could fall in any moment? Does it smell funny? If the answer to all of these questions is “yes”, then don’t buy it.
- Look at the design. Do you think it would flatter your body type? Does it have details that add much volume on one part of your body? Is it wearable? Does its color flatter your skin color?
- Look at the price label. Do you think it’s worth the money? Would you wear it often, so the price per wear will be lower?
- The ultimate test: try it on. Do you find it easy to dress (meaning the zipper isn’t broken, and the collar is large enough for your head to pass through it effortlessly)? Does it flatter your sizes? Does it fit you (it doesn’t look too tight or too large on you)? If the answers are all “yes”, then the item is probably worth it.
- Know what clothes look good on you. Unless you have exactly the same proportions as the mannequins in the shop windows, not all clothes look perfect on you; even supermodels have different body types.
- Hourglass-shaped girls have the most desirable body type; their balanced proportions and small waist are very resourceful in creating sexy curves. All they have to do is to enhance their waist and keep the balance between breasts and hips. Try wearing a thick belt straight over the narrowest point of your waist.
- Pear-shaped girls have small shoulders and breasts, medium-sized midsection area, wide hips and heavy legs. The biggest challenge for them is to create the illusion of wider shoulders and smaller hips. Wear large neck-openings (large in width, not depth) and stay away from skinny pants and long tops that reach to the middle of your hips.
- Apple-shaped girls have average shoulders and breasts, fat belly, not much of a waist and average hips and legs. They must create the illusion of a defined waist and enhance their shoulders and hips. Try wearing jackets that make your shoulders appear wider, high-waisted tops and classic jeans.
- Learn to make combinations of colours. As you gain more experience in what fashion is concerned, you will see what colours look good toghether... and what colours don't. Here are some examples of decent, neutral combinations of colours: cream and brown, black and white, gray/silver and white, gray and pastels. More daring color combinations are: black and either purple, red, yellow, blue, green, hot pink, light pink, gold, silver; purple and white, yellow and blue (sky blue especially), dark blue and gold/cream, white and gold, purple and gray, gold and gray, green and gray, red and silver/gray. Don't put more than two colors (that match) and two non-colors (black, white, gray) in one outfit.
- Invest is some good quality shoes. Shoes are the biggest fashion fetish of many women. Buy at least the absolutely necessary shoes: 1 pair of classic, black shoes, 1 pair of sandals, 1 pair of flat boots for bad weather, 1 pair of elegant boots, 1 pair of flat shoes, 1 pair of sport shoes. Continue your "shoe collection" with a few pairs in different colours and one in a metallic colour. Look for classic shapes; as for details, search for lace, crystals or buckles; they're timeless and add a bit of uniqueness to the shoe. Make sure you buy quality shoes, even they're a bit more expensive; finer quality lasts longer and, therefore, you won't have to buy another pair of shoes next month because the old one is already damaged. In a way, you actually save money by buying more expensive shoes. The heels must be as high as you are confortable with. If you really like a pair of shoes with 12 cm heels, but you never wear heels taller than 8 cm, you may buy it, but only wear it in places where you don't have to walk much.
- Buy a few bags that go with most of your outfits. Look for a black leather bag with metallic details/white bag with golden details, or one in a metallic colour; they scream "glamour". Again, look for quality; cheap, fake leather will never look good quality and expensive. Avoid the shiny plastic; it looks cheap.
- Show off your new glamour style! Go out there and make yourself noticed. You deserve a little prize for all this effort. Maybe... a handsome guy, attracted by your flawless fashion sense? Enjoy it, girl!
- Keep your eyebrows well groomed and in shape. Don't pluck them until you look like Mona Lisa; try to stick to their natural shape; it suits everyone.
- You can use a body oil if you want your skin to be shinier.
- For the right almost-nude lip colour, gently pinch your lips for a few seconds, and choose a shade that is about that colour, or a little darker.
- The combination of black and gold (and maybe white) is so glamour.
- Remember, always pick the best you can afford!
- Oversized sunglasses, a la Jackie Onassis, are a perfect glamorous accessory. However, avoid plastic sunglasses and go for real glass, so they could serve their purpose and be glam, at the same time.
- Over-knee boots are perfect, when combined to a short, tight dress with minimalist design and 2 or 3 accessories.
- Look for wearable designer clothes. They're usually less expensive than their eccentric, exaggerated "sisters", for the simple reason the model is more simple and there is usually less fabric used for them than for weird designs.
- Talking about designer clothes... They don't have to cost a fortune. Even if the piece is the "hottest" creation at the moment, if it costs several thousand dollars and doesn't even look good, then it's not worth it. Try to stick to a reasonable price limit, no matter how fashion-savvy are you. You should only spend a ton of money on something if you absolutely love it and it has to be yours and -very important- it's something truely unique. Meaning that you have no chance of finding the same model or at least a lookalike anywhere in this world. If it's just a pair of jeans- forget it. You can find the same model hundred thousand times in other shops, at much lower prices.
- Wear accessories, but don't overdo it. You don't want to look like a Christmas tree. Sometimes, a belt, a watch/bracelet, a pair of sunglasses and some lovely shoes are just enough.
- Tired of the old, boring gym? A fun and easy way to get yourself in shape is Pilates. Just buy a tape and start practicing at home. Or, if you look for something more exciting, try dancing.
- Don't make combinations of different animal prints. It's extremely tacky. Also, don't mix prints specific to one style with clothes in another style. For example, a romantic floral print doesn't go with office clothes and tartan is not a good choice when it comes to evening wear.
- Never buy something that doesn't follow your body line. This is perhaps the greatest mistake designers make: clothes are supposed to veil the body, not hide it. Look for things that enhance your waist and hips. Even if you are not too content with your silhouette, that doesn't mean you must hide it under large clothes.
- Don't wear very high heels if you're not used to them and feel uncomfortable.
- Avoid piercings and tattoos. The look intended is an elegant, classy one, something like Coco Chanel would wear. And you don't imagine Coco Chanel with her lip pierced.
- Beyonce is also a good source of inspiration for women who want to look more casual and less classy.
- Don't be a fashion slave. Most of the clothes that appear on the runway are often exaggerated, dramatic and unwearable. Try to make a distinction between tasteful trends and a designer's wildest fantasies.
- Don't just wear your clothes; do it with style. Go wander the city streets dressed into a little velvet dress, a trench and a pair of tall boots. Go eat out with a black&white shirt and a cashmere skirt, with huge sunglasses on your head. Appear to an event in an outfit that totally fits the event, yet everyone is surprised by it. Have the courage to give every outfit of yours a bit of your personality. That's what makes you truly special.
- An elegant appearance matches elegant manners. Misbehaving in public makes all your style lose its charm.
- Every piece of clothing you pick must be somehow different and special, have some details that make them different from other similar items. Well, the only exception are the "neutral" clothes like your average black pants or white shirt, who have a simple design precisely because they're made to balance more complicated pieces of clothing.
- Read some fashion magazines to see what's new and get inspired. Try Vogue, Elle, Harper's Bazaar and such. However, remember that some combinations of clothes you see in magazines are not necessarily a good source of inspiration; on the contrary, they're horrible. Picture yourself walking on the streets, wearing that outfit. Would heads turn behind you? And if they did, would they gaze at you admiringly or stare like they've just seen an alien? Would they think your outfit is cool or weird? If your outfit would appear in the newspapers, would it be at the "best dressed" or the "fashion faux pas"? Ask yourself these questions before buying any extravagant outfit you've seen in a magazine.
- If your outfit consists of clothes that have 2 or more of the following features: large, colourful prints/spangles/combinations of bright colours/any other eye-catching details, then don't put on accessories (shoes don't count). The clothes speak for themselves.
- You can choose to buy matching bags and shoes, but it's not necessarily a must.
- Find your own fashion signature. It can be everything; from red shoes to butterfly hair clips, from V-necks to skinny jeans, find something that you like and try to include it in all of your outfits. It's part of your personal style.
- Wear precious fabrics like silk, cahsmere, velvet and fur. You can choose to go for fake fur if you want your wardrobe eco-friendly. In matters of jewelry, go for gold, silver, platinum, diamonds, gems, pearls and Swarovski crystals. Avoid plastic jewelry; it's cheap and very unstylish.
- Don't make a uniform out of pants. Even if your everyday style is sporty or "office", try wearing skirts and dresses every once in a while; it's more classy and feminine.
- One of the best examples of glamour style this article is trying to describe is the fall-winter ready-to-wear collection 2006-2007 from Versace. It can be found on YouTube. Try to acquire clothes similar to those and you're very close to being awesomely glamorous.
- Don't show off your thong by wearing low-waisted pants; it's not sexy, just tacky and disgusting. No matter how good-looking of a butt you would have, it doesn't flatter anyone. It's simply the opposite of class and elegance.
- You may spend all your money for clothes, jewelry and cosmetics. Glamour is extremely expensive. Don't buy everything at a time, just save up some of your money, so you'll still have some bucks next time you go shopping. And don't forget to pay the rent! Some things really are more important than glamour.
- Know your priorities. Don't spend a fortune on clothes and accessories if your house looks like it's been through the Third World War or if you have unpaid debts and/or taxes, instead use your money to improve these aspects of your life; looking good comes (or should come) second in such cases. You can't be glamorous if your surroundings are not.
Things You'll Need
A pretty large amount of money
Some books about how to dress well - they are necessary for most women
A stylist or a friend who knows how to dress extraordinary. They're a must, especially if you're one of the "beginners" in matters of fashion and style. Take them with you next time you go shopping.
| || |