Learning how to dance the tango is kind of easy; but to understand tango is not. Newcomers more often than not fail to figure out that man and woman have very distinct parts in the dance. This lack of understanding derives from the way today's thought has evolved since tango made its appearance at the end of the XIX century.
If you took some Argentine tango lessons before, you know by now that it's up to the man to decide where the couple will be heading to. There are no fixed figures. This was a curious alteration of the rigorous customs that had been popular during the Victorian Era.
Taking Argentine tango lessons, you come to recognize to what proportions society has so little a memory. In the beginnings, Argentine tango was considered an immoral or dirty dance.
Later, it flourished and became a must-know social skill in Argentina. Women in the River Plate area had their clandestine Argentine tango lessons at home. Their mothers and aunts used to reveal to them the secrets of everybody's favorite social dance. What a contrast this was, compared with the way men used to be taught tango before! When tango was almost unknown, it was normal to see one man dancing in a close hug with another.
Among the first things you learn when you take Argentine tango lessons, is that instructors call a woman "a follower". For nowadays criterion, this asymmetry in the roles connotes machismo. Yet, the woman has an active role in tango dancing. She's expected to intuit her partner's intents. If you never took Argentine tango lessons, you are about to discover how arduous this kind of abdication can be. It demands that she trusts him ; and it demands a special insight from his side, as well.
As promised, here you have some Argentine tango lessons:
- The embrace. She passes her left arm behind his neck and puts the left hand on his other shoulder. He places his right hand on her spine.
- The first walk. He takes 2 steps forward, starting with his left foot. She start backwards with her right. Then, take a couple more steps.
- Start again. Tango is slower than most dances.
- Learn Argentine Tango: Read About The Main Considerations to Learn Argentine Tango and Experience It From Your Soul
The tango is creation more than activity, is sensation more than coordination, is the moving reflection of your heart. Tango is a blend of considerations which align once your heart governs over your mind. All of these elements are lived, for learning tango introduces you to reflection in a deep way.
Review the fundamental components to learn Argentine tango and experience it from the soul:
Music. Each musical composition has its own significance and prompts an unique interpretation. If you are here, set to learn Argentine tango, it means you not just listen to the music, but sense it. Can you identify its main sounds? Are you able to pace to the music's rhythm? Practice this and discover your own significance of tango.
- Walking. The tango is founded on walking. To learn Argentine tango you must master to pace to it. This makes it simple to achieve dancing it correctly from day one, although you will see the complexity behind its simplicity. Close your eyes and listen to the main beats on the music. Start moving to these and once you feel comfortable, open your eyes and simply step on the beats. Do it backwards too.
Style. Tango demands a relationship with your motion and dance partner. Choose your favorite icon of strength and grace- a creature, anything in nature- and visualize it as you are training your style, and your body will assume its characteristics. Style in tango deals with straightening, extending; it requires a lot of muscle reinforcing and stance tending. Create habits to get a nice frame which fits naturally. Be stable, however not inflexible. Do not force your motion or posture. Style reflects on action but also on emotion.
Embrace. To learn Argentine tango you have to learn to relate intimately to your partner, and this is supported by the dancing stance. It is danced with an erect and steady posture, bodies joined with your arms around each other all the time. The partners pull themselves towards each other to gird the couple.
- Introductory Step Patterns. There are many series of steps in tango; if you dominate the basic patterns, you will be capable of performing new ones easily. As you begin to learn Argentine tango, you will perform “the walk”, which is the simplest one. It is founded on the two-step walk and once you know it, you can vary it by the distance of the paces. The four main two-step walks are: the stroll, the cadence-counting, the chase and the rock step.
Improvisation. The tango is a piece of conception of fresh pace patterns and series. Creativity is of prominent worth amongst experts and to learn Argentine tango in the correct way, you should learn how different patterns define you: passionate, sensual, loving, etcetera.
Dance. The best way to learn Argentine tango is to dance. It's the only way to get its emotional side, to experience it, to link with your partner and permit it to stir your heart.