A female body can be placed in a range of body measurements and shapes. It is hard to standardize a perfect female body according to a particular shape or body measurement. However, considering the popularity of specific body shape and measurements in different parts of the world, 36"- 26"- 36" is the ideal body measurements for women.
Human beings have an inherent attitude to see symmetry in all objects. They apply this outlook to interpret the female body as well. A female body signifies aesthetic pleasure, sexual attraction, fertility and reproduction. Because of this, the female body has attracted attention and focus in almost all cultures and civilizations of the world. Though, every culture has its own definition of a perfect female body. The ideal body measurements for women differ from place to place. In South-East Asian countries, a voluminous and curvaceous body is considered beautiful. While in the western countries, a skinny and bony figure is regarded as a sign of perfection. You cannot deny the fact that no two females can have exactly the same body measurements and every individual considers a particular body structure to be beautiful. However, there has to be some female body shapes and body measurements that can be adopted as a standard to define a perfect female body. Let's start with female body shapes.
Different Female Body Types
A female body is classified in mainly four body shapes. These are banana, pear, apple and hourglass shapes. A brief description of each type is given here.
- Ruler Shape: The width of the waist is less than that of the bust and hips. It is generally less than 9 inches. In such a type of body shape, fat is distributed predominantly in the abdomen, chest, buttocks and face. Females with such a body shape have higher levels of androgen than estrogen. This causes the skeleton to grow in a masculine pattern.
- Pear Shape: The width of the hip is greater than that of the bust. The distribution of fat is more on buttocks, thighs and hips. As the body fat distribution increases, it is deposited on the upper body parts, including the abdomen.
- Apple Shape: Females with an apple shaped body have bust and shoulder measurements greater than the measurement of the hips. They have the highest level of androgen as compared to females with any other body shape, which causes their body to develop in a masculine pattern.
- Hourglass Shape: In the hourglass body shape, the width of the bust is almost similar to that of the hips and has a narrow waist. This is the shape with the highest symmetry. Majority of cultures consider the hourglass body shape to be the perfect female body shape.
The female body shape most men find attractive
Many women suffer a great deal believing that they're not slim enough to be attractive to men, but as it turns out, all their worries and discomforts are needless, as men prefer a more rounded shape, according to Lavinia Rodriguez, a US clinical psychologist.
Her study found that men find a greater range of female body shapes attractive than women do, reports the Sydney Morning Herald.
The body shape that men generally find attractive in women has a waist-to-hip ratio of 0.7. That's the ratio of a 70cm waist and 100cm hips, though the study found that size wasn't as important as the proportions.
Men like curves. If you doubt it, consider actor Christina Hendricks, who stars in the television series 'Mad Men'. Today's men find her shape incredibly attractive, even though the show is based on 1960's standards.
Interestingly, in a study with blind men, the same ratio was found to be most attractive to the males in the study.
The average man is less bothered by a few extra kilos on a woman than her being what he considers "too thin", they found.
And so, as the study urges, the best thing for both men and women, is to accept who we are and pursue having the healthiest and fittest body we are naturally capable of achieving.
Turn Mush to Muscle: Kickback and Hammer Curl
Targets: Biceps and triceps
- A dumbbell in each hand, stand with feet shoulder-width apart and bend at hips so back is nearly parallel to ground.
- Keeping elbows by sides and palms facing in, bend left elbow to bring dumbbell to left shoulder and extend right arm behind you.
- Reverse motion, extending left arm behind you as you bend right elbow to curl dumbbell to right shoulder, to complete 1 rep.
- Do 3 sets of 8 to 12 reps.
Cinch Spill-Over: Alphabet Superman
Targets: Lower back, butt, and hamstrings
- Lie facedown on ground with arms by sides, raising them a few inches off ground so that palms are facing forward, thumbs pointing up.
- Lift chest and feet off ground a few inches, squeezing glutes.
- In lifted position, use arms to form letters, holding each pose for 3 counts: First bring arms out from hips at 45-degree angle (to form an M); then move out to sides at shoulder level (to form a T); then bend elbows about 90 degrees (to form a W); lastly extend arms diagonally overhead (to form a Y).
- Reverse movement (forming Y, W, T, M), then lower chest and legs.
- Do 3 sets of 6 reps.
Cinch Spill-Over: Twisting Jackknife
Targets: Abs and obliques
- Lie faceup on ground with legs extended and arms diagonally out to sides, palms down.
- Lift left leg straight up as you simultaneously crunch up and rotate torso left. As you do this, bring extended right arm up and across body so that right hand reaches to outside of left ankle. Lightly push off ground with left palm to get up. (MAKE IT EASIER: Push off with left forearm for extra support.)
- Lower to start. Switch sides and repeat to complete 1 rep.
- Do 3 sets of 5 to 10 reps.
Tighten Tush: The Platypus
Targets: Butt and inner thighs
- Lie facedown on ground with upper body propped up on forearms, hands close together in front of face, palms down.
- Flex feet and press heels together.
- Keeping heels together, bend both knees 90 degrees so that they slightly point out to sides, then squeeze glutes to lift knees 2 inches off ground.
- From here, slowly pulse legs an inch or two upward, leading with flexed feet, 4 times.
- Maintaining bent-leg position, lower knees to ground.
- Do 4 sets of 4 reps.
Tighten Tush: Arabesque
- Stand facing the back of a sturdy chair, and place hands on top of seat back for balance.
- Raise right knee in front of you, drawing big toe of right foot up left shin until right knee is at hip level.
- With right toe touching left knee, turn right knee out to right side.
- Keeping an upright posture, extend right leg directly behind you as high as you can.
- Pulse right leg up 4 times, trying to lift leg higher each time.
- Lower right leg to start. Switch sides and repeat to complete 1 rep.
- Do 4 sets of 4 reps.
Resize Thighs: Sumo Sit-Down
Targets: Butt and inner thighs
- Pressing palms together in front of chest, straddle the seat of a chair so that legs are wide with feet planted on ground on either side, toes turned slightly out.
- Lower into a squat, briefly sitting in chair, then jump up and out of the squat to bring feet together in front of chair as you stand up. (MAKE IT EASIER: Remain in straddle position, pulsing up and down to get in and out of seat.)
- Jump back, opening legs wide to return to straddle position.
- Do 3 sets of 10 reps.
Resize Thighs: Firewalker
Targets: Hips, butt, and outer thighs
- Stand with feet hip-width apart and tie a resistance band snugly around ankles (over socks is best) or shins, holding the excess band in your hands.
- Bend knees slightly, then, maintaining slight squat position throughout, take 8 small side steps to the right.
- Take 8 side steps to the left.
- Repeat for 1 minute.
Trim Calves: Hit the Gas
- Holding a resistance band with both hands, sit in a chair and extend left leg directly forward.
- Loop center of band around arch of flexed left foot and pull band handles toward ribs so that band is taut as you sit upright.
- Alternately flex then point foot for 1 minute.
- Switch legs; repeat.
Trim Calves: Ballet Bridge
Targets: Abs, butt, and calves
- Lie faceup on ground, knees bent, feet flat and palms down by sides.
- Squeeze glutes and raise hips so that body forms a straight line from shoulders to knees.
- Rise up on tiptoes. Hold for 1 count, then lower heels.
- Do 2 sets of 12 reps.
| Price: $18.74 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. |
You Save: $6.25 (25%)
| Price: $13.11 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. |
You Save: $3.84 (23%)