Dancing doesn't have to be dull or difficult. It is a wonderful way to get exercise and stare into your partner's eyes and share a bonding experience. Whether you want to become
A box step can be divided into two parts - a forward half box and a backward half box. Each half box has three steps - a step forward or backward, a step to the side, and a step to close the feet together.
The leader starts with the left foot and executes a forward half box, followed by a backward half box. The follower performs the opposite – she starts with the right foot and executes a backward half box, followed by a forward half box.
The basic box step pattern uses three counts - slow, quick, quick, which is repeated twice to create the box step. Timing is 1,2,3,1,2,3 or 1,2,3,4,5,6. When dancing waltz someone has to lead and someone has to follow. Usually the man will lead and the woman will follow.
- Place your hands. The man places his right hand just beneath the woman's left shoulder blade. His arm should be held in a 90 degree angle. His left hand, holding her right hand, should be held up at her eye level.
- Stand facing your partner. The distance between the two of you will be about 3 to 6 inches.
- Get the rhythm. Listen to the music, and hear the 1, 2, 3 rhythm. This is the rhythm you will keep to waltz the box step.
- Take the first step. The man's left foot steps forward, while the woman's right foot step back.
- Step to the side. Without bringing your feet back together, the man's right foot goes out to the right, and the woman's left foot steps to the left.
- Go back. After placing the feet together for a quick moment, the man's right foot goes back, and the woman's left foot goes forward.
- Complete the box. Without placing the feet together, the man's left foot goes to the left, and the woman's right foot goes to the right. You have completed one waltz box step, and the motion is repeated.
| || |
Learn To Dance Waltz Volume 1: A complete Beginner's Guide To Dancing The Waltz
Price: $39.95 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping